Certain types of construction require certification.

Building construction requires either a Complying Development Certificate or a Construction Certificate from either Council or an Accredited Certifier. 

A Construction Certificate is required if you have your Development Application approved.

Building Certificates can be obtained from Council to indicate existing structures are consistent with the Building Code of Australia and have the appropriate approvals. This form of Building Certificate is typically obtained when a property is being sold.

Building Certificates can also be applied for when development has occurred without appropriate approvals. Additional fees apply to Building Certificates involving unauthorised works.

Section 88G certificates for covenants

Council imposes positive covenants on the title of applicable properties in the Northern Beaches Council area in respect of maintenance requirements which have a public benefit.

If a property owner neglects to uphold the terms of the positive covenant affecting the said property, Council may undertake work under the terms of the positive covenant. Any costs incurred by Council in these instances are fully recoverable from the property owner.

A section 88G certificate states any outstanding costs for failure to comply with the positive covenant on the land, being the cost which has been recovered for work carried out by Council.

Under section 88G (3) of the Conveyancing Act 1919, Council can issue certificates that identify any outstanding debts owed to Council by the property owner in respect of their obligations. If unpaid by the previous property owner, these debts will be passed on to the new property owner on conveyance of the property.

Please note that section 88G (3) certificates are generated on the lot, not the street address. Where a street address comprises more than one lot, a separate certificate for each lot must be applied for.